1 a document ordering the payment of money; drawn by one person or bank on another [syn: bill of exchange, order of payment]
2 a current of air (usually coming into a room or vehicle) [syn: draught]
3 a preliminary sketch of a design or picture [syn: rough drawing]
4 a serving of drink (usually alcoholic) drawn from a keg; "they served beer on draft" [syn: draught, potation, tipple]
5 preliminary version of a written work [syn: draft copy]
6 the depth of a vessel's keel below the surface (especially when loaded) [syn: draught]
7 a regulator for controlling the flow of air in a fireplace
8 a dose of liquid medicine; "he took a sleeping draft" [syn: draught]
1 draw up an outline or sketch for something; "draft a speech" [syn: outline]
Alternative spellings(UK:) draught (for some of the meanings)
- an early version of
a written work
- I have to revise the first draft of my term paper.
- a preliminary sketch, rough outline
- Depth of water needed to float ship [also spelled draught]
- a current of air, usually coming into a room or vehicle [also spelled draught]
- a cheque, an order for money to be paid
- an amount of liquid that is drunk in one swallow [also spelled
- She took a deep draft from the bottle of water.
the system of forcing people to serve in the military
- He left the country to avoid the draft.
- a system of assigning rookie players to professional sports teams
early version of a written work
- Finnish: luonnos
- Japanese: 下書き
depth of water needed to float ship
- German: Tiefgang
current of air
- Czech: průvan
- German: Zugluft
- Norwegian: trekk
order for money to be paid
amount of liquid that is drunk in one swallow
- Norwegian: slurk
- Norwegian: verneplikt, tvungen militærtjeneste
system of assigning rookie players to professional sports teams
- to write a first version, make a preliminary sketch.
- write a law
- to conscript a
person, force a person to serve in the military
- He was drafted during the Vietnam War.
- to select and separate an animal or animals from a group.
- The calves were drafted from the cows.
- to force or convince a person to do a job they do not want to
- They drafted me to be the chairperson of the new committee.
- to select a rookie
player onto a professional sports team
- After his last year of college football, he was drafted by the Miami Dolphins.
- to follow very closely behind another vehicle, thereby providing an aerodynamic advantage to both lead and follower, thereby conserving energy or increasing speed.
to write a first version
- Finnish: luonnostella
- French: ébaucher
- German: zeichnen, entwerfen
to write a law
to conscript a person
- Czech: povolat
- German: abkommandieren
to force or convince a person to do a job
- Referring to drinks on tap, in
contrast to bottled
- I'd rather have a fresh, cheap draft beer.
Usage notesAlthough this word is in common use, it is noted as a misnomerhttp://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/ordboksoek/ordbok.cgi?OPP=draft&sourceid=Mozilla-search.
- Draft or draught may mean:
- Draft (air), a stream of air of constant direction and (when induced mechanically) constant speed.
- Draft (animals), selecting an animal or animals from the mob and separating them
- Draft (combustion), the incoming flow of air of a Boiler or engine
- Draft (finance), an order for the payment of money
- Draft coach, a four horse passenger and sporting vehicle with seats inside and on top
- Draft (hull), the vertical distance from the bottom of a hull to the waterline at the lowest part of a ship or boat
- Draft (politics), an attempt to persuade a political candidate to enter an election
- Draft (sailing), the degree of curvature in a horizontal cross-section in sailing
- Draft (sports), a system for allocating players among teams
- Draft (water), to move a liquid from below the intake of a suction pump
- Draughts (or checkers), a popular board game
- The Draft (band), a rock band from Florida.
- The Draft was a comic book in the New Universe imprint of Marvel Comics
- The draft, a synonym for conscription, especially conscription in the United States relating to the military or military service
- Drafted (comics), Devil's Due Publishing comic series
- Drafting (but not draughting) can mean:
- Draft or draught may be used in combination with several words:
- Air draft (nautical), the vertical distance from the highest point on a ship or boat to the waterline
- Draft document, one of several revisions to a manuscript, screenplay or teleplay
- Draft dog (or draught dog), a large, strong dog used for pulling carts or work (see Working Group (dogs))
- Draft horse (or draught horse), a large, strong horse bred for heavy work rather than speed
- Draught beer (or draft beer), beer that has been served from a container by pump or pressure
Note on spellingIn British English the word is spelled draught in some senses and draft in others. It is draught beer, a draught horse, a draught meaning a current of air or a ship's minimum depth of water to float, and the game draughts - all of which retain the older spelling draught. The simplified spelling draft is used for a plan or sketch, for a preliminary version of a document and for the verb meaning to write it, for an order of payment, and for military conscription (although this last meaning is not as common as in American English). In the USA the spelling is draft in all these cases.
draft in German: draft
draft in Japanese: ドラフト
draft in Russian: Драфт (значения)
draft in Thai: ดราฟท์
CD, IOU, MO, abbreviation, abbreviature, abrege, abridgment, abstract, acceptance, acceptance bill, adumbrate, air current, arrangement, article, attraction, autograph, bag, bang, bank acceptance, bank check, beverage, bill, bill of draft, bill of exchange, black and white, blackmail, blank check, bleed, block in, block out, blueprint, booster, booster dose, booster shot, boot, brainchild, brief, broach, brouillon, bumper, call, call for, call up, call-up, capsule, cartoon, certificate, certificate of deposit, certified check, chalk, chalk out, characterize, charcoal, charcoal drawing, chart, check, checkbook, cheque, chiaroscuro, claim, color, commandeer, commercial paper, compend, compose, composition, compulsory military service, computer printout, concoct, condensation, condensed version, conscript, conscription, conspectus, contribution, contrive, copy, copy out, crayon, crosscurrent, crosshatch, current, current of air, dash off, daub, debenture, decant, deck, delineate, delineation, demand, demand bill, demand draft, demand for, depict, design, detach, detach for service, devise, diagram, digest, displacement, document, doodle, dose, downdraft, draft call, draft off, drafted man, draftee, drafting, drag, drain, dram, draw, draw from, draw off, draw up, drawing, drayage, drench, drink, drop, dropping, drug packet, due bill, duty, ebauche, edit, edited version, edition, elevation, empty, enface, engross, engrossment, enlist, enlistee, enlistment, enroll, enrollee, enrollment, epitome, esquisse, essay, exaction, exchequer bill, exhaust, extortion, extortionate demand, extraction, fabricate, fair copy, fall wind, fashion, fiction, figure, final draft, finished version, first draft, fix, flimsy, flow of air, following wind, forge, form, formulate, frame, gargle, graph, ground plan, gulp, guzzle, hatch, haul, haulage, hauling, head, head wind, heave, heaving, heavy demand, hit, holograph, house plan, hymnal, hymnbook, ichnography, imposition, impost, impress, impressment, indent, indraft, induct, inductee, induction, inflow, inhalation, injection, inrush, inscribe, insistent demand, inspiration, instrumental score, invent, jetstream, jigger, join, jolt, katabatic wind, lap, let, let blood, let out, letter, letter of credit, levy, libation, libretto, limn, line, line drawing, list, literae scriptae, literary artefact, literary production, literature, lucubration, lug, lute tablature, mainlining, make, make a recension, make out, manufacture, manuscript, matter, milk, mobilization, mobilize, money order, monsoon, movement of air, music, music paper, music roll, musical notation, musical score, muster, muster in, narcotic shot, negotiable instrument, nip, nonfiction, nonnegotiable demand, notation, note, note of hand, notice, opera, opera score, opus, orchestral score, order, original, outline, overdose, overview, paint, paint a picture, pandect, paper, parchment, part, pastel, pattern, peg, pen, pen-and-ink, pencil, pencil drawing, penscript, phlebotomize, piano score, picture, picturize, piece, piece of writing, pipette, plan, play, plot, poem, popping, portion, portray, postal order, potation, potion, precis, prepare, press, printed matter, printout, production, profile, project, projection, promissory note, prospectus, pull, pulling, pulling power, pump, pump out, push the pen, put in writing, quaff, raise, raw recruit, reading matter, recense, recension, record, recruit, recruiting, recruitment, requirement, requisition, review, revise, rewrite, rookie, rough, rough copy, rough draft, rough in, rough out, rough outline, rough sketch, round, round of drinks, rubric, rush, rush order, score, scratch, screed, scribe, scrip, script, scrive, scroll, scumble, selectee, selective service, shade, shape, sheet music, short score, shortened version, shot, sight bill, sight draft, sign on, sign up, silhouette, silver-print drawing, sinkage, sinopia, sip, siphon, siphon off, skeleton, sketch, skin-popping, slurp, snifter, snort, songbook, songster, spill ink, spoil paper, spot, stencil, strain, stream, stream of air, study, submergence, submersion, suck, suck out, summon, summons, sup, superscribe, survey, swig, swill, syllabus, synopsis, tablature, table, tail wind, tap, tax, taxing, tenderfoot, text, the written word, thumbnail sketch, time bill, time draft, tint, topical outline, tot, towage, towing, trace, tracing, traction, tractive, tractive power, trade acceptance, trainee, transcribe, transcript, transcription, treasury bill, tribute, tug, tug-of-war, tugging, type, typescript, ultimatum, undercurrent, updraft, venesect, version, vignette, vocal score, voucher, warning, warrant, wet, wind, work, working drawing, write, write down, write out, writing, written music